The Badger Region Volleyball Association publishes a newsletter that is released every other Thursday. Material included in the Badger Beacon tell stories about clubs, officials, athletes and other members of the Badger Region. News and events such as clinics, deadlines and special offerings are part of every issue. To be included in a future edition of the Badger Beacon, contact Brian Sharkey at email@example.com or call 414-313-9055.
* June 22, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include results from the American Beach Tour and Junior Beach Tour events run by the Badger Region, news about staff member Ryan Thompson taking a job a Wittenberg University, a column from Board Member Holly Vogelsang, training advice from Education Chair BJ LeRoy, a wrap-up of the boys sand volleyball clinic, an updated outdoor calendar and news about the Badger Region CAP clinic coming to Wisconsin.
* June 8, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include a look at the results from the USAV Adult Open Championships, news about the Badger Region director being chosen to be the Men’s Junior National Team Leader, an updated outdoor events calendar, a column from staff member Ryan Thompson, ways to teach players how to find their own answers from BJ Le Roy, the arrival of a CAP clinic to the state of Wisconsin and much more!
* May 25, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include a boys sand clinic on June 14, a look at where our HP participants come from, news about the upcoming 2018 championships, a letter from boys representative Jake Nowak, the final From the Ref Stand column, Nancy Paulson’s big award, an updated event calendar and much more.
* May 11, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include the announcement of the Badger Region Board of Director election results, news and updates from the sand volleyball season ahead, a column from Badger Region Board member Paul Schlomer, an updated events calendar, nominations being sought for the Region’s Meritorious Awards, strange situations in the reffing world, ways to” teach” passing, and a story about a pair of athletes in a recent accident.
* April 27, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include: A national award for Score Chair Nancy Paulson, ways to improve yourself as a coach from Kim Wudi, results from the WVC Championships/NCVF Championships/G18s National Championships, the latest From the Ref Stand column, ways to get more out of your athletes from BJ LeRoy, an expanded look at the outdoor events calendar and a reminder about Board of Director nominations.
* April 13, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include: how to nominate someone for the Badger Region Board, a look back at the 2017 Badger Region Championships, a letter from Badger Region Board Member Kelly Lehman, a preview of the summer grass/sand season, a re-cap of the Dale Rohde Boys Tournament, sportsmanship winners, a list of the 10 teams heading to the G18s GJNCs, lessons learned from sitting volleyball, and much, much, more.
* March 30, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include more info on the Badger Region Championships, a preview of the Wisconsin Volleyball Conference Championships that take place April 7-8, a letter from Badger Region Commissioner Julie Voeck, Board Member Pati Rolf, Officials Chair Jim Momsen and Staff Member Ryan Thompson, a look at the athletes chosen for High Performance and much, much more!
* March 16, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include: A preview of the Badger Region Championships, winners of the G13s-G16s Badger Region Qualifier, a reminder about High Performance tryouts, tips on how to use substitutions and timeouts effectively, a letter from Board Member Ruth Leitzke who shares her passion for the sport of volleyball, an updated events calendar and a listing over 20 summer camps available in and around the Badger Region.
* March 2, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include: A recap of the G17/18s Badger Region Qualifier, a reminder about tryout registration for the Badger Region High Performance program (boys and girls), a column by Education Chari BJ LeRoy saying “Maybe It’s Not the Drills,” an opportunity for parents in the Serve United program, Birthdays in a Box put together by Revolution Volleyball Academy and a letter from Board Member Jim Momsen
* Feb. 16, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include the announcement of the 2017 Leif Storvik Award Winner, a column from BJ LeRoy about the importance of having a mentor coach, an update on the 2016-17 season to date, reffing shout-outs, a story about the Serve United program, an idea on how to use your backpack during practice, and much, much more. Also look for numerous pages related to summer camps from various clubs and colleges/universities.
* Feb. 2, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include the opening of High Performance tryout registration, the 2017 Badger Region You Pick The Logo Contest, a look at what it takes to be a Junior National Referee, reminder about the Sportsmanship and Serve United Programs, and an updated events calendar.
* Jan. 19, 2017: Highlights this week include the start of the Serve United parent program, a letter from Board member Heather Curley, some great experiences from some new referees, a new Provisional Plus ref rating, the return of the Reffing Shouts-outs, the start of some summer camp opportunities, a boys clinic this weekend at Carthage College, and much, much more.
* Jan. 5, 2017: Highlights in this week’s issue include boys clinics at Carthage/Marian/MSOE, online ref training for junior athletes, a letter from Board member Holly Vogelsang, the opening of Badger Region Championships/Qualifier, news about the new USAV CEO, an update about the American Beach Tour (stopping in Waukesha June 10-11) and much more.
* Dec. 22, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include a column from NCAA/Olympic ref Pati Rolf, a story about boys clinics in conjunction with college matches, a new beach tour coming to the area, news about our expanded sportsmanship program and a look at the interconnected websites software USAV uses.
* Dec. 8, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include new rewards for our sportsmanship program, a program to reimburse first-year officials, the return of the Badger Boys Series, new policies adopted by the Badger Region Board, reminders from our refs at the start of the season, an expanded USAV events calendar and a letter from Board Member Paul Schlomer.
* Nov. 23, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include the real importance of “Dig Pink,” a new app from USA Volleyball, how officiating helps players, the WIAA All-State list, an updated events calendar, a new program for new officials, and reminders for coaches from IMPACT training.
* Nov. 10, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include tips on navigating the tryout process, ways to grow volleyball in rural areas from Kim Wudi, the return of Jim Momsen’s “From the Ref Stand,” a preview of the WIAA state boys volleyball tournament and reminders that it’s OK to make mistakes in our IMPACT column.
* Oct. 27, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include news about a new grant the Badger Region received to grow he number of officials, tips on getting recruited for college, information on how to order tickets for the NCAA Div. 3 women’s championships in Oshkosh, a reminder about the Badger Region Spirit Wear Store, a ton of new IMPACT and referee clinics on our calendar and much, much more!
* Oct. 13, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include stories about the Girls 18-and-under championships heading to Dallas, Texas, a preview of the NCAA Division 3 women’s volleyball championship at UW-Oshkosh, a boys open house Nov. 10 at Pius High School, Court and Classroom writer asks “What makes a good coach?,” an updated events calendar, IMPACT reminders from BJ LeRoy and a column from staff member Ryan Thompson about aiming high and reaching higher.
* Sept. 29, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include reminders about the girls 14-and-under tryouts, news about the Nov. 10 boys club volleyball open house, photos from events such as the Oshkosh boys league, Help for Haiti and the Club Volleyball Open House held Sept. 18. This week we also have a “Choose Your Own Adventure” version of our membership offerings to help people pick the right membership they need for the 2016-17 season. Check it out.
* Sept. 15, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include a summary of Meritorious Service Award winners, a look at the NFHS numbers for volleyball and other high school sports, a look at who represents you on the Badger Region Board, an article from Board Member BJ Bryant, and updated events calendar and the start of the third year of the Badger Beacon.
* Sept. 1, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include a wrap-up from the Open Court event Aug. 27, reminders about 2016-17 registration, a breakdown of where your $50 membership fee goes, a heads-up about the Sept. 18 Open Court event, and updated events calendar and much more.
* Aug. 18, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include stories on the Junior Club Director meeting from Aug. 14, the boys coaches clinic from Aug. 13, a welcome letter from President Julie Voeck, a round-up of the Region’s National High Performance athletes, updates to the Badger Region Qualifier and the Badger Region Championships and an updated events calendar.
* Aug. 4, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include a closer look at the differences between USAV and Badger Region and how you fit into the mix, a recap from the Junior Beach Tour and HP Championships, a column from one of our Badger Region Board members, reminders about the WYVL/Boys Leagues/Junior Club Director Meeting and much more.
* July 21, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include a story about a boys coaches clinic set to take place on Aug. 13, a look at the the roles of the five Badger Region staff members, news about the High Performance and Olympic teams, great reminders for every coach who has forgot their IMPACT training, a preview of the Junior Beach Tour Championship in Milwaukee and much more!
* July 7, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include a look back at the Girls and Boys Junior National Championships, tips on using social media in your club, news about Scott Stadick playing with the Junior National Team, details about the Junior Club Director meeting and an updated events calendar
* June 23, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include a wrap-up of the boys sand clinic and Central Open beach events, the announcement of the boys High Performance team, a look at yoga & volleyball, and an updated events calendar.
* June 9, 2016: Highlights in this week’s issue include stories about new boys middle school leagues in Kenosha and Oshkosh, results from the USAV Open Championships (including PVL) in Orlando, Fla., reminders about the outdoor events coming to the Badger Region this summer, how to sign up for the WYVL and an updated events calendar.
The Badger Region accepts advertising from outside groups. For rates and contract, email Brian Sharkey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All material that is published in the Badger Beacon is copyrighted by the Badger Region.