BOYS HP ALL-STARS
The Badger Region Boys’ High Performance (HP) All-Star program is an avenue for the region’s premier players to receive training and competition opportunities from some of the top coaches in Badger Region. Our program is the regional chapter of the USA Volleyball’s National Team Development Program. As a part of the HP pipeline, our program follows international age definitions and program offerings each year.
The goal of the teams who compete at the international tournament is to medal in their respective divisions while also accomplishing the following throughout the process:
- Expose athletes to high-level college (NCAA and NAIA) recruiters who attend the international tournament.
- Offer a college-like sports experience where athletes learn what it is like to be treated like an elite-level athlete.
- Be a part of independent travel experience led by highly certified Badger Region staff and HP Coaches
- Gain exposure to elite level coaching provided by the Midwest’s highest-level club and college coaches.
- Compete and train alongside other all-star caliber athletes from around the Badger Region.
- Play against other all-star teams from around the country and the world
There are three stages of the Badger Region Boys’ HP program: tryouts, training team/camp and championship team.
For the 2024 and 2025 seasons, the Badger Region will be fielding one High Performance team in each of the following divisions:
- Boys U19 — formerly National Youth (Born in 2006 and 2007)
- Boys U17 — formerly National Select (Born in 2008 and 2009)
- Boys U15 — formerly Future Select (Born in 2010, 2011 and later)
2024 BADGER REGION HP all-star COACHES
- U19 Head Coach: JW Kieckhefer (Carthage College / Milwaukee Volleyball Club)
- U19 Asst. Coach: BJ Bryant (St. Norbert College)
- U19 Asst. Coach: TBA
- U17 Head Coach: Mike Endsley (Wisconsin Lutheran College / Milwaukee Volleyball Club)
- U17 Asst. Coach: Curtis Madson (Concordia University Wisconsin)
- U17 Asst. Coach: Mike Stevens (Carthage College / Southport Volleyball Club)
- U15 Head Coach: Rob Kleinschmidt (Middleton H.S.)
- U15 Assistant Coach: Sue Kleinschmidt
- U15 Assistant Coach: Dylan Griffith (Middleton H.S./Inferno Volleyball Club)
- Boys Team Representative: Brian Sharkey
BADGER REGION HP TRYOUTS
The Badger Region HP tryout is open to any Badger Region member of the appropriate age wishing to join the Badger Region HP program. Attending the tryout allows players to make the Badger Region HP All-Star Training Team and ultimately the Badger Region HP Championship Team.
Boys tryouts will take place on Friday, March 15, at the Baird Center (formerly the Wisconsin Center) in downtown Milwaukee.
If an athlete has a conflict and has other commitments on the date listed for his or her age, special considerations will be made on a case-by-case basis. These athletes must still register for tryouts and submit a video for tryout review. Registration for in-person tryout closes the Wednesday before the tryout date listed above. No refunds are given for tryout registration.
Athletes will train all together at two training dates in April/May/June.
The Badger Region is seeking volunteers to work tryouts as court coordinators (running drills/entering downballs) and evaluators (working with lead coaches rating athletes by position). All coaches must have a membership, current background screening and SafeSport. If interested, contact Brian Sharkey.
BADGER REGION HP TRAINING TEAM/CAMP
The Badger Region HP Training Roster is populated through the tryout process. The offered age division for these training teams vary each season (see “Age Divisions” above). Players will participate in two training sessions for a total of $150. From the training sessions, one 12-person team (and two alternates) will be selected to attend the overnight HP Camp that will be July 14-15 at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside.
BADGER REGION HP CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS
Following the boys HP camp, the 10-12 athletes from each team will head travel to the USA All-Star Championships July 18-21, 2024, in Des Moines, Iowa. Cost is TBA and includes the tournament entry, hotel and flights as well as other tournament-related expenses. After July 1, no refunds will be given. Parents are not required to attend this tournament with their athletes. Badger Region staff and coaches will serve as chaperones.